Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting the Bikes Ready

I'm working on our 15 year old Gary Fisher "Paragon" mountain bikes, getting ready for our tour. Christine and I will be riding 2800 miles from Key West, FL to Bangor, ME beginning May 1st, riding about 50 out of the 60 days we will be touring. These old aluminum (built in the USA) bikes have had most of the components upgraded throughout the years. XTR derailleurs and shifters, XT cantilever brakes and Cane Creek headsets.The wheels are Mavic XC717 laced to 32 hole XTR hubs with Continental Travel Contact tires. We decided to use Ortlib Panniers front and rear mounted on Tubus racks and Arkel handlebar bags. I've added Planet Bike Hardcore fenders, Ritchey adjustable stems and a third water bottle cage to the bikes. I've equipped my bike with a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, both bikes have Mavic Wintec HR computers and Cateye lights front and rear.

2 comments: